Information for Overseas Students

To study at Christ College, you would need to meet the normal requirements for overseas students which may be found on the Australian Government’s website.

Students need to apply directly to Christ College, using the process below. We do not use any third party to advertise, market, recruit for, or promote our courses to overseas students.

Application and Enrolment Process

The academic year commences in February, though it may be possible to take students in mid-year for second semester (July). We recommend that you begin in 1st semester, as this will enable you to complete your course in the required time more easily.

Please apply by November of the previous year to ensure your application is completed in time.

Before proceeding with your application, please ensure you can supply the following supporting documentation:

  1. A written reference from your pastor or church leader.
  2. Academic records of your previous studies.
  3. Proof of English proficiency.
  4. Evidence that you will be able to meet the financial demands of studying in Australia.

What are the English Language requirements?

Because we are an English-speaking college, and because of the high demands of studying academically, we require an English test for overseas applicants who have not studied at a tertiary level in an English-speaking environment. For this we use the IELTS test. Please see below for specific requirements depending on the level you wish to study at. The Australian diplomatic posts should have information about how to register for doing this test.

  • Diploma: IELTS 6.5 overall with minimum of 6.5 in each subtest OR 10 years English in country experience.
  • Undergraduate: IELTS 6.5 overall with minimum of 6.5 in each subtest OR 10 years English in country experience.
  • Graduate: IELTS 7 overall with minimum of 7 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years English in country experience.
  • Postgraduate: IELTS 7 overall with minimum of 7 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking.
  • Higher Degree by Research: IELTS minimum 7.5 overall with a minimum 7.5 in reading and writing, 7.0 in listening and 6.5 in speaking.

Course Pre-requisites

For pre-requisites of the various courses on offer, please see the courses page on the ACT Website.

Application Process

This is what the application process involves:

  1. You will need to complete an initial application here:
  2. A member of our team will be in touch to explain the next steps in the process.
  3. You will then be directed to complete a full application, where you will be asked to provide your supporting documentation.
  4. Following this, you will be interviewed by our Principal. If you are still resident overseas, this may be done via skype or over the phone.
  5. If you are accepted, you will be sent additional information, including a contract.
  6. When returning your signed contract, you are required to pay an initial non-refundable application fee of $200 AUD.
  7. When the signed contract is returned, you will be enrolled in your course and an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) will be issued. You will need this to apply for your student visa.

Student Support

The Overseas Student Liaison Officer is our Registrar (Karen Lee). Overseas students are invited to seek her assistance for support, information, and concerning any issues affecting their studies. Any queries can be directed to her in person, over the phone or via email.

For more information about student support services available to students, visit our Support Services page.

Orientation for Overseas Students

We have an orientation week in January, the week before semester begins.

Orientation information and assistance is available on NOVA, our online learning platform.

In the first few semesters of study, we provide overseas students with ongoing assistance to help them settle into their course. For example, one on one guidance in writing essays, preparing for the first assignment and so on. We carefully monitor the progress of overseas students during their first couple of semesters and offer additional assistance from lecturers for individual units and connect you with study partners.

Financial Information and Accommodation

For information on our fees, please go to our fees page.

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer any financial assistance or scholarships for overseas students.

Before an overseas student can be accepted into our college and be granted a student visa, they may be required by the relevant government department to provide evidence that they have enough money to pay all their tuition fees, and a return airfare and living costs for the total duration of the course. Students who come to Australia and cannot pay the costs or support themselves may be asked to leave Australia.

As a rule, you must prove that you have at least $20,000 AUD per year for a single person to live in Australia. This should cover accommodation, food, transport, clothes, health, and entertainment. A married person needs around $7000 AUD more per year for a spouse and $3600 AUD more a year for each child. These figures do not include course fees or airfares. Full fees will be charged for dependent children if they attend school in Australia. If you do not intend bringing your family with you while you are studying, you must declare that you have a family and you must be able to provide for them.

For more information on the costs of education and living in Australia, please see the following website, provided by the Australian Government:

This is a non-residential college. All students are responsible for their own accommodation. Living in Australia is very expensive for many overseas students.


Christ College is approved to deliver the following Courses of the Australian College of Theology (CRICOS 02650E) to Overseas Students. As of May 2018, Christ College has been approved to deliver the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) course to international students.

  • Diploma of Ministry (CRICOS Course 054659K)
  • Bachelor of Ministry (CRICOS Course 054670D)
  • Bachelor of Theology (CRICOS Course 054676J)
  • Graduate Diploma of Divinity (CRICOS Course 054685G)
  • Master of Divinity (CRICOS Course 054688E)
  • Master of Ministry (CRICOS Course 088085G)
  • Master of Theological Studies (CRICOS Course 0100549)
  • Master of Theology (CRICOS Course 094613D)
  • Doctor of Philosophy (CRICOS Course 076015J)

  • Helpful Links

    Various Services Available
    Education Department
    Department of Immigration and Border Protection
    Burwood Council
    Local Burwood Community Programs
    Burwood Library
    Burwood Information on Children and Family (including health services and schools)
    Council of International Students Australia
    Australian Government Information for International Students
    Public Transport
    Royal Prince Alfred (Local Hospital for Burwood)
    Learning English
    Translation services
    Legal services
    Service NSW International Student Support


    Employment Services
    Fair Work – information and advice about your workplace rights and obligations
    Career One

    More Information
    ACT International Students page